Ordinary Differential Equations
- Lectures: CRAWFORD 169 MW 6:00-7:15 PM
All homework is due the week
following the assignment.
Grades will be based on:
- Written homework 30%
- Projects 20%
- 2 Exams 50% (Around mid october and the final exam)
The book is Differential equations: a modeling perspective
The authors are Robert Borelli and Courney Coleman. We are using the
- ODE architect is in the book - I will not use this, but your can
play around with it.
- XPP is
recommended. It is free, open source, and flexible. If you are a
disciple of the evil empire (Windows), then you can get the whole
- Apparently there is a problem with the X-server You can
download the Windows
only version and the
documentation or this
X-server which works for 2 hours at a time.
- I will be giving some homework assignments which will require the
use of the computer.
Exams will be in class, open book. There will likely be an additional out of
class computer component, but I havent settled on that.
What the heck is a project?
- Projects are due at the end of the term.
- You should find some other
students with whom to work. Typically 2-3 per team is a good
- The projects can be on anything you want which involves the
use of differential equations.
- You will present them in class and give me a little write-up
- If you are completely devoid of ideas, don't worry, I can give
- Some previous examples:
- Introductory examples
- Chapter 2
- 2.1: 1,7,5,14,18,23
- 2.2: 2,6,31 (Due Wednesday Sep 14)
- Do the problesm on this work sheet Due 9/14 also.
- 2.3 problem 2 (due Wednesday sep 14)
- Week of Sept 12: 2.3-2.7
- 2.4 This section requires some use of the computer. Get XPP Then look at
Direction fields tutorial
- Homework For Sept 21 2.4: 7,8; 2.5: 1,3,6,9,12,21,26; 2.6: 1,2,9
- Week of Sept 19:2.8-2.9, page 120-121
- Homework for Sept 28 2.8 1,5,7,11,13-18,22,23; 2.9 1,3,4,9,13,16
- Week of Sept 26: 3.2-3.3
- Homework for Oct 5 3.2 1,4,8,12,19,20,33,40,41,44
- Week of Oct 3: 3.4,3.5 (3.6 possibly)
- Homework due Oct 12 3.4: 5,6,11,14,15,19. 3.5:8,10,20,24,25,28.
- Week of Oct 10: 3.7, Series
- Homework Due Oct 19. 3.7:1,3,,18 ; Handout: page 3: number 2; page 6: number 1
- EXAM 1 Oct 24. Due Oct 28 - Take home exam.
- Week of Oct 17: Handout right here and we will also start section 6.2 . HW Due Oct 26: handout page 2:1,2,3 and
- Exam 1 is here NOTE: in problem 6, the bifurcation parameter is the pump strength, p
- HW due Nov 9. Book section 6.3: 3,5, 11, 9; 19; 33. Section 6.4: 2, 8; 26b, 26c.
- HW due Nov 30th. Book 6.5:1,2,4,5,11,13,14,16,17,23,27; 6.6:1,7,9; 6.8:8; page 442: 2.
- Book Chapt 7 Nonlinear mechanics
- Chapter 7 Homework, Due Dec 7. 7.2:10-13,29,30; 7.3:15-18,29