What, When and Where: The 2019 High School Integration Bee will take place on Sunday, April 7, 2019, 2-5 pm in 343 Alumni Hall (campus map).
Who: Everyone is welcome to attend. Participation is open to any high school student.
How: To participate, students MUST REGISTER before Friday, March 29, 2019 by filling this form. Please keep in mind that the number of participants is limited, and registrations will be taken on a first come, first served basis.
Prizes: There will be special prizes for top finishers and refreshments for all.
Who Again: This event is
sponsored by the College in High School Program and the
Department of Mathematics, University of Pittsburgh
Questions? Please contact Dr. Anna
Vainchtein (email@example.com) or Dr. Roxana Popescu
Examples of integrals from other Integration Bees:
1) Participants must correctly evaluate indefinite or definite, proper, single real variable integrals in the time allotted.
2) Participants will take turns working. In round 1, the first participant will have 2 minutes to evaluate an integral. If this is not done correctly, then the second participant will have 1 minute on the same integral. If the next answer is incorrect, the third will have 30 seconds on this integral. If all three answer incorrectly, then a new integral will be given to the fourth contestant and the sequence repeats. If the integral is evaluated correctly, the next participant gets a new integral and 2 minutes. In round 2, the first two steps of the algorithm apply but the 30 second third attempt is dropped.
3) If a participant misses an integral, then he/she is eliminated from the competition.
4) If 5 or more contestants remain after 2 rounds, then all remaining contestants will compete head-to-head in one or more "lightning rounds" to see who can correctly evaluate the next integral the fastest. Depending on numbers of contestants remaining, there may be multiple lightning rounds.
5) At some point, a lightning round will be declared as the final round. The first contestant to correctly evaluate the integral in the final round is the integration champion.
6) Prizes will be given to all participants who make it to the final round.